Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Big set back, big step forward?

So, you know how life hands you lemons? Some of you are saying, "Lemons would be a fucking improvement." I hear you. My whole year has been like that, and I'm really looking forward to 2012, just to see if anything will be different.

Yesterday, I woke in a great mood. I had slept well. I left the house early, rather than on time. I even got parking only a block away from my building. Sweet! I was on the right track. When I came to work, one of the building staff was busy waxing my floor for me. How nice!

How deceptive!

It wasn't until around three in the afternoon that I discovered that my thumb drive, which had been plugged into the front facing USB port on my computer, was in pieces! That's right. I suspect, though I have no proof, that the thoughtful staff member that had been working on my floors bumped the computer tower. Now the thumb drive isn't even recognized by my computer. And yes, I did go visit the Super IT Dudes across the hall. It's gone. And, along with it, 10,000+ words of my WIP, which I was really struggling with. AGGGGH! (In that Charlie Brown voice.)

Then, I made a decision. I'm tabling my WIP. I was really having to struggle with it, anyway. Far more than I ever struggled with the second book. So, take a little nap, my WIP. All 53,000 words will still be waiting for me when I return.

Then I was fine. Exuberant, even! I can finally return to the series I started last spring, the one that has been calling my name continually in my head, making it hard to focus on my WIP! So I'm reading through the first MS now, making changes, looking at it through eyes cleansed by time. I'll be back, WIP. For now, onward and upward. I'm super excited.

No comments:

Post a Comment