Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Then she tells someone, then he tells two people. Then they tell two people.

It's amazing how quickly a book is born. It's appalling how slow the growth is. The trick is, I've learned, word of mouth. So I say this to all my fellow writers, pimp that book. Give it away. Leave it in waiting rooms. Hand it to friends at your kid's gymnastics lessons. Seriously. Write a little note in the book that says, "If you liked this book, please rate it at Amazon.com." Less than a month after the birth of my print edition, I've received 39 feedback ratings, for a total of 4.5 stars. Wowza! Really? Wow! Not what I expected. Is the book good? Yeah, it's good. But, for me, it's a year old already. Porter House is my first novel. I'm writing my third novel right now. For me, Porter House is a thing of the past.

Still, I have to admit that it was super duper fun to read through Porter House again for the first time in nearly a year. I found out that I like it as an audience member. My characters drew me in, just like they did when they flitted into my mind, begging to be written about. It was a bit refreshing and liberating to know that I'll be able to, at some point, read all of my books like an audience member. Now...back to writing :)

No comments:

Post a Comment